Fall means squash of all types, so its the perfect opportunity to make a warming pot of soup! This recipe comes to us from the Bow Hill Blueberries website, and its the perfect way to use that beautiful squash! Come on in to the Coop and pick up some today!
Golden Squash Bisque
A perfect dish for the whole year, though especially wonderful in the fall.
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 Tbs Mother’s Choice organic butter or Miyokos vegan butter
- 3-4 cups of Pacific vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Tbs Smallwood Farms honey
- 2 tsp Pacific Flake salt, divided
- 1 tsp of M&B allspice, Chinese Five Spice or cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder or cayenne pepper
- Juice of one lemon or half an orange
- 1/2 cup Twinbrook Creamery heavy cream or Native Forest Coconut Cream/Milk
- Farmers Cheese
- Bow Hill Pickled Blueberries
- Olivna Olive oil
- Pinch of warm spice, like M&B cinnamon or cayenne
Heat butter in a heavy bottomed large skillet or pot over medium heat. Sauté onions first for 5 minutes then add the rest of the chopped fruit and veggies, sprinkling with 1 tsp of salt, sauté another 5-10 minutes.
Add stock until veggies are just covered and let simmer until veggies are soft and easily forked.
Blend with an upright blender or an immersion blender until velvety smooth. You will have to do in batches if using an upright blender.
Return your blended soup to the same pot, or a new one if you used a skillet, and add honey, last teaspoon of salt, spices of choice, and citrus.
Whisk in more stock until your soup is about the texture of heavy cream. Taste, and adjust seasoning to your liking.
Whisk in 1/2 cup of heavy cream, serve. Garnish with Farmer’s Cheese and pickled blueberries, a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of spice!
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian, Winter Squash, Soup, Recipe, Coop, Co-op, Anacortes Food Coop, Farm to Table, Winter